ROYAL CROWN DERBY
By Mary Horner
Although the exact date of its founding is not known, Andrew Planche, a French Huguenot, established one of the earliest porcelain factories in Derby in the 1740s'. His exquisite figures led to a very successful partnership with William Duesbury, a wealthy English merchant, and they manufactured china of the highest quality. Duesbury was chiefly instrumental in bringing Derby porcelain to perfection and by 1773, after which time the name of Planche disappears, he was claiming that his Derby factory was "The second Dresden".
The opening of a London showroom in 1773 marked the beginning of widespread recognition of the excellence of Derby porcelain, which continues to this day. After a visit to the Derby works in 1775, King George III acknowledged the uniqueness and superb quality of the company by granting a Royal Warrant that allowed it to use the name "Royal" Crown Derby. Over succeeding centuries the factory passed through many hands, but standards set by Duesbury were maintained.
The present company was formed in 1876 , when Crown Derby patterns became immensely popular with Victorians who relished the romantic and extravagant designs. In 1890, again by Royal Warrant, Derby was appointed Porcelain Manufacturers to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, and the sign of Royal patronage has been renewed ever since. Around 1811, under the leadershio of William Bloor, a shrewd businessman who was recognised as an art lover, the company began designing the traditional brightly coloured Japanese Imari patterns for which Royal Crown Derby is so famous. These lines often featured intricate geometric patterms layered with various floral designs of glorious blues, red, orange and gold. Lavishly decorated, the popularity of Imari continues in various forms to the present day and the rich colours and intricate gilding that please both the eye and the heart, make it a great favourite with Gypsies and Travellers.
Burton Barrel/Bow-top Ledge
Three beautiful Royal Crown Derby wagons exclusive to Govier's of Sidmouth